Leo Club is a branch of the world-famous Lions Club international organization. The international club is currently the largest service organization in the world, boasting over 1.4 MILLION MEMBERS worldwide. Currently, Lions Club International is in over 206 countries.
Although a relatively new branch of the organization, Leo Club is now at over 160,000 members internationally due to the guidance of helpful Lions Clubs around the globe. Just like Lions Club International, the Leo organization is dedicated towards helping the local community as well as making an impact on a global scale. Both Leos and Lions have led numerous projects ranging from simple tree planting in the community to fundraising money for laser eye surgeries in third world countries to cure eye-related diseases that tribes in the country face. Leo club prides itself in holding true to its philosophy. Their name comes from an acronym that doubles as the organization's motto. The Leo club motto is:
Leadership - Leos develop skills as organizers, time managers and motivators of their peers.
Experience - Leos learn the importance of cooperation through community service.
Opportunity - Membership provides young people with a chance to excel, to develop positive character traits, and to receive recognition for their contributions to the community.
Community service remains the central focus of the Leo organization, as Leo club members enjoy serving their neighbors and watching positive results unfold.
Leo club is different from many organizations because we are so broad and so versatile, offering a broad range of activities, projects and awards for students to take advantage of. We don't really wish to call ourselves a community service organization because what we have in store for you is much more. Some of these things include:
1. Community Service Hours: The Monta Vista Leo club officer team tries their best to provide the members, YOU, with community service activities regularly, so you can earn service hours.
2. Leadership Opportunities: Ever year, you will get the opportunity to apply for officer positions. However, we want to offer even MORE opportunities for members to have leadership experience. Throughout the year, Leo club will be having its own exclusive chapter projects members can lead. We also have Officer Shadows near the beginning of second semester, which helps members learn the jobs that each officer does. This is a great way to stay involved with the club and show your passion and commitment!
3. Club Exclusive Projects: As mentioned previously, we have our own exclusive Leo club projects that are unique to each year. Each exclusive project encompasses a certain theme. This is a great way for our passionate members to stay involved in the club and make a difference in the community in a more hands-on way! Those who participate in the chapter projects will work together to decide on activities/events to carry out, whether it be making a water purifier for a third world country or partnering with YouTube's project report to create a documentary about global poverty. Members can apply to become leads or participate as active project members.
4. Contests/Competitions: Leo club wants to give opportunities for competition-loving members, so we plan to have chapter contests provided by the Monta Vista Leo Club officer team. These contests can be a great way to be more involved with the club, and we will give away prizes for the winner(s)! The international level offers competitions every year, as well. Annually, the Lions Club International holds the Peace Poster Contest and Global Youth Music Contest. If you're interested in participating in these, feel free to email us for more information!
5. Awards & Honors: Throughout the school year, members are chosen to be recognized as the Member-of-the-Month. These dedicated members receive a small gift from the officer team and receive an honor they can boast! At the end of each year, Leo club will recognize members for their achievements throughout the year. The member may be nominated or selected for either competition awards or other honorable mentions that officers feel the member deserves recognition for. Also, if you earn 50 or 100 hours, you are eligible for the Silver or Gold Seal Award, respectively. These honors are awarded by the Lions International president and recognize all members who dedicate 50 or more hours of their time to the community!
6. Senior Benefits: For any senior who has stayed active in the club for all four years, we give out special senior gifts, as well as Honor Cords for graduation. All of these will be presented at our annual Leo Banquet!
As a member of Leo Club, you are NOT required to volunteer; however, if you would like to be considered an active member, please read the following member policy!
- To be an active member, you are required to earn five hours per semester (You can always volunteer more!)
- To check your hours, click on the "hours" tab
- Please keep in mind that it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to know the strike policy.
- You will receive 1 strike if you sign up for an event, but do not show up.
- You will receive 1 strike if you fail to attend any meetings in a month (you only have to attend one out of the two meetings a month to not get a strike)
- However, if you cancel 3+ days prior to the event (by emailing us), you will not receive any strikes.
- If you cancel within 3 days of the event and find a replacement (through email), you will not receive any strikes.
- If you receive 2 strikes, one hour will be deducted from your volunteer hours.
Also, please do not be more than 30 minutes late! We understand that sometimes finding these places is not easy, but please try your best to be on time! If you are more than 30 minutes late, we will deduct an hour from the hours you earn for that event. If you know you are going to be late or might need to leave early, please email us beforehand letting us know!
Even though this policy may seem strict, you will be fine, as long as you go to the activities you sign up for! Most people never receive a strike, so don't worry :)
Active members who have been in Leo Club into their senior year can receive the following awards and graduation gifts.
Classes of 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022:
- 5+ semesters = Certificate
- 6+ semesters = Certificate + honor cord
It sounds like a lot of hours, but know that just 5 events can be worth 25+ hours!
These awards are of the highest honor, and are presented by the De Anza Lions. They are a symbol of commitment, and dedication to Leo and volunteering in general.
To receive a Silver Seal Award:
- You must earn 50 hours through Leo during the span of 12 months
To receive a Gold Seal Award:
- You must earn 100 hours through Leo during the span of 12 months
You will be able to choose which 12 months you would like, and we will guide you to selecting the time range that benefits you the most. Good luck!
Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or talk to any of our officers.